I've been having a great time this summer working at the Prosecuting Attorney's office in Twin Falls. I've got to do a ton of cool stuff with my limited law license.
A normal week for me consists of:
Monday: Court Trials, First Appearances, Prepare for Tuesday Pre-Trial Conferences
Tuesday: First Appearances, Pre-Trial Conferences
Wednesday: Catch Up day, First Appearances
Thursday: Probation Violation Hearings, First Appearances
Friday: Catch Up day, Prepare for the following week
Last week I made my first appearance in District Court. I normally handle misdemeanor cases which is Magistrate Court. District Court is felony crimes. I did an argument after a jury trial. I introduced a certified document that contained the defendant's prior felony convictions and then asked the jury to find that he had actually been convicted of those felonies. I gave my argument and then the jury deliberated. It was really a no brainy that the defendant had actually been convicted but under the law the state has to present evidence and actually prove the defendant had been convicted. The jury found that the defendant had been convicted of 3 prior felonies, as I asked them to. This allowed for an enhancement of the defendant's sentence by 5 years-life. \
This week I also get to make an appearance in District Court. I am second chair for a Felony Lewd and Lascivious Act jury trial. I also have a misdemeanor jury trial on Wednesday in which the defendant is representing himself. Both should be a lot of fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment